Monday, March 29, 2010

Remembering Drew: The LA Half-Marathon

This week was a pretty big deal. It was the grand finale of my weight loss journey – the half marathon in Los Angeles. This was the race that my little brother Drew was training for when his heart failed and he collapsed and died four years ago this month – an event that contributed greatly to my obesity/emotional eating issue. Thus, I had made this event the final goal following my weight loss milestones.
We piled in the car on Wednesday and took off for Holly’s sister’s house in North Hollywood. The drive in our “new” car made the trip 43 times better than our usual trips in the cramped Corolla ... especially when Holly is due in 7 weeks and needs some extra sprawl-space. 
We had an awesome time with Mandy (Holly’s sister) and Bryan. Check out the pics below. Mandy took us to Griffith Park and the girls got to take a mini train ride and enjoy the biggest park they’ve ever experienced. 
The next day we drove up to Laura (my sister) and Sugata’s place just 45 minutes north. Drew was living with them when he died and Sugata and Drew were training for the half-marathon together when he died. So they’ve both ran the race every year since he died – in his memory. I’m planning on making this a tradition for the rest of my life. We ran down to the race headquarters to get our bibs and registration swag. There were tons of vendors selling race gear and Sugata convinced me to get some compression pants/tights to run in. They allegedly help delay muscle fatigue and help with blood flow. Oh, and they’re tights ... something I NEVER thought I’d ever put on my body, let alone go out in PUBLIC wearing them. Nonetheless, I did and there are pics to prove it below. Keep the comments to yourself :)
We carbo-loaded on an awesome dinner of pasta and bread and hummus. We woke up at 5am to get to the race in time. There were 10 minutes before it started, so I ran over to the bathroom for a final ... emptying. As I was jogging up the steep hill to the starting line, suddenly the race started and the 1000+ people starting pouring down the hill in my direction. I had to sprint up to the top and turn around quickly to join Sugata and Laura. What a tiring start to a 13 mile race!
The race has a reputation for being a very difficult half-marathon as it climbs way up a pretty steep mountain and then comes down the other side. Fortunately, my training included a lot of inclines. And since, thanks to me, got a late start in the crowd, Sugata and I  spent most of the race passing people. It may be a good confidence builder ... to start at the back of the line so you’re constantly passing people by. I managed really well up the mountain, passing by other runners all the way up. But then came the downhill. The tiny bird-like runners did really well downhill. The taller/bigger people struggled more. I was the latter. And to add to the pain, that monster carb dinner from the night before came back with a vengeance! I was suddenly praying for a bathroom stop very soon. I ran in pretty severe stomach pain for several miles before finally deciding it was me and the field or me and my pants (TMI!). I chose the field. The rest of the race was much less painful and I finished pretty strong. 
Approximately one mile before the finish line, I started thinking about Drew and started crying ... but quickly realized that crying and running in exhaustion REALLY don’t mix. I was choking for breath. I had to delay the tears until the finish line. But once I crossed that line, the tears returned uncontrollably. It was four years of delayed grief combined with the elation and absolute relief that I was finally not the fat, self-conscious person that I had been for 22 years of my life. I hugged Holly for a long time in tears as all these feelings flooded my being and then flowed out of me in pure liberation. My long journey of healing and health had been realized and a new odyssey was beginning – as a new person who now knows that anything is possible with sufficient perseverance and patience. 
Sugata had finished a few minutes before I had ... thanks to my encounter with the field. Laura had told us to go ahead early in the race. At about mile 6 she fell and gashed her knee open. But she’s one uber-tough cookie and got a quick bandage on it and ran the rest of the race. Sam (my brother) and his family were there waiting and we celebrated the race with a great lunch together. It was a fantastic weekend with the people we love, remembering a brother we love and miss greatly.
Recipe of the Week | Honey Granola 
  • 8 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup assorted nuts (your choice)
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup whole millet
  • 3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 1/2 cup -hot water
  • 1 tsp vanilla




















1 comment:

  1. super cool. avoiding pooping your pants is quite a feat. ;) such an accomplishment (the race and your weight-loss) and an awesome tradition to start. plus a great excuse to get out of the grey of spring and out into the LA sunshine. :)

    ReplyDelete