Monday, July 23, 2012

Lots of Little Things...

While there haven't been any major events lately, we have been keeping busy with a lot of little things.

The Mark Twain Library continues to be a favorite place to visit. They have so many creative programs for little kids. Last week the girls took their teddy bears, "Fluffy Blue Bear" and "Krickle" to a teddy bear sleepover. They just dropped them off at the library in the evening, and then picked them up in the morning after some stories and muffins and juice for breakfast. How cute is that, I ask you? They loved it!


We also went to something called "Shakespeare on the Sound", an annual event where a company comes and acts out a play outdoors near the water (the "Sound" is what they call the beach, the inlet of water from the Atlantic Ocean). It is a free event where you bring a picnic and chairs, and just enjoy. This year they preformed Romeo and Juliet, and it was a bit of a musical. It was very well done and professional. I liked introducing the girls (Noma stayed home with Adam) to the concept of a tragedy. It ended at 10:30pm, but they were awake and alert for the entire show.

On the hot summer days, we have found that it is much better to know people with pools than it is to have a pool. We have been very fortunate to have opportunities to cool off in a few different pools of friends and neighbors.The pool featured below is the one that my phone fell into, but was saved by 36 hours in a zip-locked bag of uncooked rice (it really works!).

A few weeks ago, we arranged to meet up with Ryder, a cousin, who is right between Viv and Ru in age, and her mom, Joanna. We met before in CA, but they were in NYC, so we decided to meet at the Central Park Zoo. It was slightly daunting for me to take the three little ones all by myself (traveling with a recently potty-trained 2 yr old is always a little nerve-wracking). I'd never gone into the city by myself. We took the train and had to transfer and then find the subway and then walk a few blocks to the park. But we did it! We had a wonderful time catching up. The girls got along really well, and I really loved getting to know Joanna. They trip home was a little more complicated with a lot of waiting because I wasn't familiar with the train schedules and such, but we eventually made it home. Whew! (Sadly, that snow cone in Ru's hand below fell victim to the pavement).

In other news, I went to a job interview at a "nearby" university (only 45 minutes away!). It went really well and I was feeling really good about the way it was going until I was told that the position required me to be there five days a week. I was actually willing to drive out there two or even three times a week (the schedule at USU was like that for adjuncts), but not five. Ah well, something else will work out. I'm just trying to decide what I will do this fall. It will be just me and Noma home all day with the older two in school. Crazy. It's been an interesting adjustment for me to not work. I miss teaching, but I'm also loving this summer of fun with my girls.

Adam continues to work insane hours. I'm not sure how he does it. It's been easier for me to handle without work or a schedule to keep, thank goodness. But it's a good sign, in this economy, to be so busy. He seems to establishing himself and making a name for himself here. Hopefully one day all of his loooooong hours will translate into a more stable situation with a better and more sustainable schedule.... Any day now, I'm sure.

We spend our days doing things like babysitting for friends, making cookies (thanks, cousin Chloe for the "easy bake oven") and other foods, cleaning, having impromptu dance parties, playing games, cleaning up, playing with chickens, getting hair cuts, cleaning, reading books, doing homework, cleaning the house, etc. It is a great life!... and that statement makes me uneasy. I am "waiting for an anvil to drop," as I have said for years. I know it won't always be lovely, but here's to the present!






In other news (animal news), there have been no new tick sightings (knock on wood), and Viv is almost done taking her meds. However, we  heard a strange animal in one of our air vents the other night... no idea. We set out mouse traps, and so far, nothing. We also discovered bats that are living way up by our attic window shudders. Their poop lands on our front patio by the children's bench. Awesome. We haven't seen racoons for a while, thank goodness. This morning a woodpecker just outside our window woke me up. And the girls caught (and released) a frog on their walk the other day. Yes, we live in the woods. To quote Ru a year ago at family camp, "There's millions of nature out here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment